Friday, September 10, 2010

Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been?

I first read this story when I was 21, and it had such an effect on me that I've never forgotten it! This is my all time favorite short story! It just so happens that it's mildly based on Bob Dylan's song "It's all over now baby blue", which is my all time favorite Bob Dylan song too!

I had my sister read it when she was in high school and it made her scared to sleep at night for a while. It's not that it's a scary story, it's just that it evokes a sense of restlessness in the vivid reader (which my sister and I both are).

I came across it the other day and read it again for the ump-teenth time, and again it blew me away. Their is so much to be said about the plot the characters and theme, but I won't say it because I want you to read it! And please, let me know what you think? Good, bad, not sure? Do tell!

Story Link:
http://jco.usfca.edu/works/wgoing/text.html

6 comments:

  1. Oh no, I'm not sure I want to read it now (being as it's night and all)!!! I'll come back and read it sometime this weekend (during the day).

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all...what the F?! I want to point out that the story is creepy beyond belief...for more reasons then one. The obvious, and another I will tell you the next time I see you. I literally had chills by the end. I have a bad habit of entering stories I read (in my mind of course) and screaming at people to do things differently or do my own damage control. You should have seen the things I did to that monster.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Nina- hahah, yeah that's why I like it so much, it invokes so many emotions! As women I think most of us have experienced similar situations, (maybe not to this degree) so that by the end we are almost re-living that fear that was once in us. Is your phone off btw I've txt you a couple of times. Call me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this story, and everything I've read by Oates. The way it captures the feeling of immobilizing psychological horror is so effective. I just wanted that girl to get herself out of that situation, but she just couldn't. So horrifying.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said, and exactly how I felt!

    ReplyDelete